The VESAM Group created during the year of 2014 an internal research unit aiming to develop applied research in steel and mixed construction. This unit, named of VESAM Steel Research Center, is currently located in the industrial unit of the VESAM Group headquarters.
The main mission of the VESAM Steel Research Center is to promote the creation of innovative products and solutions in steel and mixed construction. Moreover, this research unit in steel also performs the quality control tests of materials and structural tests in large scale.
Although being recently created, this research unit already developed several internal projects for the VESAM Group, namely:
- Assessment of the behavior of composite decks comprising OSB panels and cold formed steel profiles, with self-drilling screws, being evaluated the strength and stiffness of the structural solution, in particular of the connections, and the diaphragm effect.;
- Assessment of the influence of the distance of application of self-drilling screws to the borer of the OSB panel, being evaluated the minimal distance to avoid the pull-out failure.
- Assessment of the behavior of bolted connections in large span steel trusses, being evaluated the strength and stiffness of the connection, as well as the load transfer between bolts;
- Optimization of bolted connections between cross girders (IPE300 with end plate) and the main girders in mixed steel-concrete bridges, being evaluated the strength and stiffness of the connection, as well as the the failure mode and the reduction of bolts aiming to keep constant the same mechanical behavior;
- Assessment of the plastic rotation capacity of cross girders comprising IPE120 profiles in mixed steel-concrete bridges, being evaluated the moment-rotation relation in elastic and plastic phase;
- Uniaxial tensile tests of steel specimens for quality control purposes, being evaluated the yield stress, the failure stress and the Young modulus.